Animal Rights Advocates (Inc.) is a volunteer-run grass roots animal rights organisation based in Perth, Western Australia. We strongly recognise the links between the oppression of animals and other social justice and environmental causes. We aim to build coalitions with other organisations that promote social justice and sustainability, to create a better world. Each year we hold a Cruelty Free Festival to promote a vegan, cruelty free lifestyle and give other groups the opportunity to share their message with a receptive audience.
1. The animal rights position maintains that all sentient beings, humans or nonhuman, have the basic right not to be treated as the property of others.
2. Our recognition of this basic right means that we must abolish, and not merely regulate, institutionalised animal exploitation – because it assumes that animals are the property of humans.
3. Just as we reject racism, sexism, ageism, and homophobia, we reject speciesism. The species of a sentient being is no more reason to deny the protection of this basic right than race, sex, age, or sexual orientation is a reason to deny membership in the human moral community to other humans.
4. We recognise that we will not abolish overnight the property status of nonhumans, but we will support only those campaigns and positions that explicitly promote the abolitionist agenda. We will not support positions that call for supposedly “improved” regulation of animal exploitation that promote one form of exploitation over another. We reject any campaign that promotes sexism, racism, homophobia or other forms of discrimination against humans.
5. We recognise that the most important step that any of us can take toward abolition is to adopt the vegan lifestyle and to educate others about veganism. Veganism is the principle of abolition applied to one’s personal life and the consumption of any meat, poultry, fish, or dairy products, or the wearing or use of animal products, is inconsistent with the abolitionist perspective.
6. We recognise the principle of non-violence as the guiding principle of the animal rights movement.
If you’d like more information about being Vegan in Perth please visit: http://veganperth.org.au/